PrEP (Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis) is an FDA approved medication regime to prevent the transmission of HIV for those that are at high risk for HIV infection. One pill once a day can protect you from HIV infection.
Who Can Use PrEP?PrEP is for people who are HIV-negative and are at very high risk for HIV infection.
- Those who have multiple sex partners/partners of unknown status
- Those who do not use condoms regularly
- Those who share needles for injected drug use
- Those who are in a relationship with an HIV-positive partner
Important Facts About PrEP
- PrEP will not prevent STDs, Hepatitis C or skin and heart infections
- PrEP users must take one pill everyday and see a healthcare provider every three (3) months
- PrEP is not a cure for HIV
- PrEP does not work as a treatment for someone who has HIV
- Case management
- PrEP is most effective when combined with other prevention methods like condoms