Pharmacy Portal

Prescription Refills

Patient Portal

Portal always open

(843) 234-0005

24/7 Customer Support

Menu

What Happens If I Eat Mold

What Happens If I Eat Mold

As we approach the holiday season there are sure to be leftovers galore saved in your fridge. Properly storing the foods and knowing when to toss them out will help keep your family healthy and out of the primary care doctor’s office. One of the most frequently searched questions in terms of food is, “What happens if I eat mold?” If the leftovers spoil before you expect and you digest mold, should you visit your primary care physician?

What is mold?

There are a number of different types of mold, and as your primary care doctor would explain, some molds can cause an allergic reaction while others can make you sick. Technically speaking, mold are microscopic fungi that can grow on a number of surfaces, food being one of the most common. The molds that can make you sick, and potentially send you searching for a primary care office near me, are the ones that produce mycotoxins, a poisonous substance that makes you ill.

Mycotoxins are produced by certain molds primarily found in grain and nuts, celery, grape juice, apples, and other produce. So if you want to avoid the nearest doctor’s office, throw out all bad fruits and vegetables.The Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations estimates that 25% of the world’s food crops are affected by mycotoxins.

Are there good types of mold?

While there are several types of mold that can make you ill, other are actually beneficial. Molds are used to make certain kinds of cheeses and can be on the surface of cheese or be developed internally. The molds used to manufacture these cheeses are safe to eat.

Prevent mold on leftovers

Whether you’re putting away Thanksgiving leftovers or just your regular family dinner, there are a few ways to prevent your food from spoiling and skip the emergency trip to your primary care physician.

  • Use plastic wrap to cover foods that need to stay moist (fruits and vegetables).
  • Throw out any perishable foods left out of the fridge for more than 2 hours.
  • Use leftovers within 3 to 4 days so mold doesn’t have a chance to grow.
  • Keep food covered while serving to prevent airborne mold spores from landing on food.
  • Store perishable foods in storage containers with lids and place in refrigerator immediately.

If food in your refrigerator or pantry does mold, wrap it in plastic or place it in a bag and throw it in the trash. Your family doctor would also suggest not to smell the food, as the mold can cause respiratory trouble. Clean the space in your fridge or pantry where the items was sitting.

If you mistakenly eat a piece of moldy food, drink plenty of water to flush out your system. If you begin to feel ill, take on a fever, or start to vomit, visit your primary care physician.

Share with your friends:

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn